Friday, July 10, 2015

Frida Kahlo Mixed Media Canvas


Happy Friday everyone!  I hope this post finds you all well.  Today I'm extremely proud to share my latest canvas with you.  This canvas is 20x24x1.5" and took me several days to complete.\


When I started on this canvas, I had no destination in mind.  I just wanted to enjoy the creative journey.  I focused on color and pattern to ensure that the background would be rich in depth.


I drew inspiration from a sugar skull that I'm creating.  It has beautiful zentangle flowers so I added them here in various sizes.  I used metallic paints to add to the bohemian feel of the canvas.


I chose to use a photo of Selma Hayak in her role as Frida.  I loved the intense look she has in the photo.  I usually sketch my image but the dark background really didn't allow me to do so.  Instead I painted an outline with paint.  Since this not my usual technique, I was frustrated and unsure of myself.  But I believe that in order to improve at your craft, you have to venture out of your comfort zone.  So with that in mind I resisted the urge to paint over her and do something easier for me.


I was worried about the hands and relaying the intense look she has.  Slowly I continued to add layers and make adjustments until she sprang to life.


I'm so happy that I resisted the urge to give up because I am so proud of how she turned out.


I love the detailed background too.


Now I just need take some better pics and find a suitable title.  What do you think?  What should it's title be?


Let me know your thoughts, I'd love to hear from you.  Thank you so much for stopping by and sharing a piece of your day with me!

UPDATE:  Prints are now available in my Etsy shop: LittleHoneyBeeStudio

 

Also available in a beautiful handbag


Adios!


6 comments:

  1. Norma, I love this , this is outstanding work !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is truly stunning - amazing attention to detail and so life like! TFS and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Norma, this is absolutely beautiful! I am a Frieda fan and this just spoke to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you did amazing work , You surely have artistic mind, lovely use of colors in it. Going to book mark your blog and looking forward to more such creative articles

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...